As night falls we head into the tropical rainforest to discover one of the most interesting attractions the Arenal Volcano has to offer, its nocturnal fauna.This experience will take you to explore the depths of nature in its most spectacular hour – nightfall. This specialized activity is full of amphibians, reptiles, and insects for all the brave enough to enter the rainforest with nothing more than the natural lighting and a flashlight, where the mysteries of the tropical rainforest will be yours to discover, alongside one of our experienced naturalist guides.
Discover the magic of Arenal Natura at sunset, during the transition period when many of the forest’s habitants awake and begin their activities. You can see and hear many animals which are not visible during the day, as they run along the trails and across the water.
Intriguing species like the Red Eyed Tree Frog (Agalychnis callidryas) and walking Stick bugs (Ctenomorpha chronus) will be right in front of your eyes. In addition, we may be lucky enough to spot sloths (Bradypus tridactylus), armadillos (Dasypus novemcinctus) and nocturnal birds.
Definitely an experience not to miss!
N. Students $12
N. Children $9
During the night, we will be able to observe over 20 species of frogs in their natural habitat, including the most eye catching species, the Red Eyed Tree Frog. (Agalychnis callidryas).If nature permits, we will also be able to spot some mammal species like sloths (Bradypus tridactylus), Coati mundis (Nasua narica), Fruit bats (Artibeus jamaicensis), the beautiful Spectacled Owl (Pulsatrix perspicillata), and the interesting walking stick bug (Ctenomorpha chronus) among others.
- Wear comfortable closed toe shoes
- Wear comfortable clothing for walking
- Use insect repellent
- Remember that Arenal Natura Ecological Park is located in the tropical rainforest, therefore you may need a poncho at any time. Have one handy, or purchase one in our shop.
- Our team is comprised of professional guides, always follow their instructions and stay with the group.
- Walk quietly, to avoid scaring animals in the area.
- When stopping, stand in silence and observe carefully, birds, animals, and insects will begin to appear little by little.
- Be patient, animals and insects roam freely throughout Arenal Natura Ecological Park.
- Avoid passing the guide who leads your hike, so that he/she can locates plant or animal species along the way and explain them to you.
- Most importantly, don’t forget your camera!
- Naturalist guide
- Park entrance
- Civil Responsibility insurance policy
- Transportation if needed (extra charge depending on your hotel location)
- Reservations are required Verify with Reservations Online, or contact us at Tel: (506) 2479-1616, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Flash photography is not permitted, as it may case alterations in the animals’ behavior.
- All children must be accompanies and supervised by an adult at all times.